Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Civil 3D Labels Showing "XREF Moved"

Last week I ran into an issue where a drawing's Civil 3D labels were displaying XREF Moved as shown in the image below:

I did some research and found a blog regarding this issue (a link to the blog can be found at the bottom of this page). Though the blog's reasoning for this error may be correct, I found that it was not the solution to the issue I was having. After further research in the drawing, I found that indeed, the XREF had actually been moved. The labels were creating by lableing contours through the XREF, thus when the XREF was moved the labels reflected the error - kudos to Autodesk for thinking of this. Had the labels not stated the XREF was moved, it may not have been noticed by anyone reviewing plans as it was moved a very minor amount.


Track back to original blog solution that was not the solution of my problem.
http://beingcivil.typepad.com/my_weblog/2009/04/xref-moved.html

6 comments:

  1. Steven, you just solved our mystery! Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would actually like to be able to move an xref and still have the labels read correctly. I have a liner grade plan and a final grade plan showing on the same layout, but to keep things clean, I move the final west by 500 feet and do all my annotation for that plan view there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I disagree with moving the XREF as in my opinion all base files and xrefs should remain at the site location - moving to a different location could throw another user off. What you could do is put the labels on separate layers and turn them on and off. I realize you have style layers and object layers, but you could easily write a lisp that or a layer filter that would turn on/off those layers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is also happening in my drawing where I have an architects plan scaled by 12 (.08). the insertion point is 0,0,0. know of a way around this?

    ReplyDelete
  5. ps. my email is yvonne@powercad.net

    ReplyDelete